This is a great dish to share with friends and family who call around over the Christmas period.
The ribs and sauce could even be frozen and pulled out the day before. This can be served with a nice slaw, like the Asian one I have here and a chill mayo.
Cooking & Prep time: Approx 2 hours
For the Ribs:
- 1.5/2 kg pork ribs
- 150mls honey
- 120mls soy sauce
- 60g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, seeded & chopped finely
- 1 orange, zested & juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Chicken stock, enough to cover the ribs at the beginning
- 80g beansprouts
- 1/2 head of Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 red chilli, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 carrot, cut into matchstick strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Sliced red chili flakes, for garnish
- Spring onions, sliced, for garnish
- Chili mayo
For the Ribs:
- Place the ribs in a large pot along with the honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, garlic, ginger, coriander, orange and chili. Add chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to the boil and cook until the ribs are cooked and tender, about 1 hour & 15 minutes.
- Allow the ribs to cool slightly in the cooking juices. Once cool enough to handle remove the ribs.
- Place the pot with the sauce back on the stove and allow to simmer until you reach the consistency of a nice sticky glaze.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 225oC. Place an oven rack at the very top position.
- Transfer the ribs to a chopping board and cut each rib into single 1 bone pieces. Place the ribs on a baking sheet and brush with the thickened sauce.
- Cook on the top oven rack for 5 minutes. Constantly keep a close watch over the ribs because they can burn quickly due to the sugar in the sauce.
- Turn the ribs to brown all over. Remove the ribs and place on a serving platter.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves, chili slices and spring onions.
- Serve with the chili mayo and the remaining glaze as dips.
For the Slaw;
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve on the side with the ribs.