On Today with Maura and Dáithí, Mags Roche makes a magnificent moussaka.
- 4 aubergine
- 1kg of beef mince
- 4red onion
- 2garlic cloves
- 1tsp herbs de provence
- 2bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200ml red wine
- 1 tin good quality chopped tomato
White bechamel sauce
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 800ml milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 100g parmesan
- 2 eggs
- Slice the aubergine and potato about 1cm in thickness. Sprinkle salt over the aubergine and leave aside for ten minutes (this is to remove moisture and take away bitterness)
- Cook potato slice in salted boiling water for 5/6minutes. Drain on paper and leave aside.
- Rince aubergine and drain on paper and leave aside.
- Brown off the mincemeat in a hot pan with salt and pepper. Drain in a colander.
- Sweat off the garlic, red onion, herbs and cinnamon in a pan. Add the tomato paste and cook out a little.
- Add the red wine and reduce a little. Add the chopped tomato and stir. Add in the browned mince and cook for 30minutes.
- Panfry the aubergine slices and the potato slices until a nice golden colour. Set aside.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for a minute and gradually add the milk(as to not lump up).
- Add 1/2 parmesan and nutmeg and simmer gently for 10mins. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the 2beaten eggs.
- Spoon 1/3 mince mix, cover with a layer of aubergine and a layer of potato.
- Repeat 2more times.
- Finish with Aubergine, pour over white sauce and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake 180 for 40minutes until golden brown delicious.