On tonight's Taste Like Home, Catherine Fulvio made a South African Milk Tart.
For the pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 65g icing sugar
- 130g cold butter
- 1vanilla bean
- 1-3 tbsp of cold water, if needed
For the filling:
- 550ml sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. corn-flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1tbsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Strawberries, to serve
- Icing sugar to sprinkle on top
For the pastry:
- Butter and flour a 23cm quiche tin pan with a removable base.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / fan oven to 180 C or gas-mark 5.
- Place flour and sugar in a bowl and add the seeds from the vanilla bean and mix.
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and work slowly into flour, rubbing into a crumbly consistency.
- Make a well and add the slightly beaten egg and if necessary some cold water, knead until the dough barely comes together.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a work surface - knead just enough to incorporate all the dough. Do not overwork the dough; otherwise, it’ll be tough. When it’s ready, the dough will be barely moistened and come together into a ball.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out and line the quiche tin with a 5mm thick layer of dough. Cover with baking parchment and fill with beans to bake blind.
- Place the tin in the centre of the preheated oven and bake pastry for about 20 minutes or until the crust is a light golden browned.
- Remove the parchment with the beans and bake for a further 5 minutes to brown the base lightly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, add condensed milk, nutmeg and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, corn-flour, vanilla and almond extract- whisk in eggs until smooth. Gently whisk into the saucepan making sure there are no lumps.
- Now return the pan back on the heat - keep stirring constantly until it starts to bubble.
- Cook for 5 minutes on a very low heat constantly stirring. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the baked pastry shell. Let it cool down and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
- Serve cold with some strawberries or other tart fruits to balance the sweetness of the tart.