Serve this warming pot of chili beef in the centre of the table and whoever you're feeding will be very pleased indeed.
Prep time 1 hr approx
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 2 red peppers - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 650g minced beef
- 110g tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot chili powder (add more if you like more heat!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 525mls beer
- 600g pre-cooked red kidney beads - rinsed
- 600g tinned chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- sliced scallions
- sliced fresh red chili
- picked coriander leaves
- chopped avocado
- grated cheddar
- lime wedges
- deep fried fresh tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a high heat.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic.
- Fry, constantly stirring until soft. This will take about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking it up as to fry.
- Once the beef has browned, about 6-7 minutes, add the spices and tomato puree. Cook these out for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and beer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the chili mix to simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes. By this time the mix should have thickened.
- Serve in the pot in the centre of the table and have small bowls of all the various garnishes ready.