Wade Murphy's chicken and leek pot pie is perfect for the whole family.
Total time 1hr 15 mins approx
- 500g boneless/skinless chicken breasts - diced
- 1 9in ready-made shortcrust pastry - defrosted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 large leeks - sliced
- 100mls dry white wine
- 150mls chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 200c/fan - 180c/Gas 6
- Cook the diced chicken in a pot of simmering water until cooked through. This should take about 10-12 mins depending on the size of the chunks.
- Remove and allow to cool. Keep back 150mls of the cooking liquid rouse as the stock in the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and once hot fry the onion & leeks until they start to soften, about 3 mins. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the chicken and the flour and coat all the ingredients.
- Cook for another 1-2 mins. Add the white wine and reduce. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 5-6 mins, until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and add the herbs, creme fraiche, mustard and lemon zest. Check the seasoning. Allow to cool slightly
- You can now either divide the pie mix into individual pie dishes or into one large pie dish.
- Cover the top with the pastry. Press the sides to seal the pie. Cut a couple of air vents in the top of the pie. Place on a tray and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake until the pie is bubbling and the crust is golden. This should take approx 30 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- For real comfort food, serve with a nice creamy mash. But if you want you could also serve it with a nice simple dressed salad.