Bryan McCarthy's Egg, Mushroom, Chorizo & Spinach on Sourdough from Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 5 organic eggs
- 150g Shiitake mushrooms cleaned & sliced
- 100g Gubeen chorizo diced
- 100g organic spinach washed and stem removed
- 1 loaf of Sourdough bread sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Oil for deep frying
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 80g panko bread crumbs
- Salt & black pepper to season
- Poach 4 of the eggs in simmering water and refresh in cold water till cold
- Combine the remaining egg with the milk.
- Gently roll the eggs in the flower then the egg mix and then the bread crumbs repeat for the other 3 eggs
- Heat the oil in your deep fat fryer to 175 degrees
- Sauté the chorizo for 1 minute in a frying pan add the thyme butter & mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the spinach at the last minute combine and remove from the heat adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Toast the bread and fry the bread crumbed eggs till lightly browned remove and strain on kitchen paper then season with salt and black pepper
- Place a slice of Buttered sourdough on each plate and divide the mushroom mix evenly on the 4 slices of bread and top each plate with a crisp egg.
- When the egg is cut the yolk should be runny and act as a sauce for the dish.