On tonight's episode of Neven's Italian Food Trails, the Cavan chef will whip up a peach and amaretti sponge cake. Get the recipe here.
- 200g softened butter, plus extra for the tin
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- ½-1 tsp almond essence (optional)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Amaretto Liqueur
- 410g Can peaches or apricot halves in natural juice, drained, roughly chopped
- 85g Amaretti Biscuits
- 25g Flaked Almonds
- Heat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Butter the base and sides of a 22cm loose-bottom cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Break in the eggs, add the almond essence, lemon zest, olive oil and amaretto liqueur and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Gently stir in the peaches/apricots and the amaretti biscuits.
- Spoon into the tin and lightly smooth with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 60 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.