Arun Kapil's Poached pears "Jal Jerra" Scorched plums & Greek yoghurt: Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 280g white sugar
- 120g water
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1 tsp ground cumin and a pinch more
- 4 pears, peeled, halved (squeeze of lemon to stop the pears from discolouring)
- 8 plums, halved, stoned
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- Greek yoghurt, full fat
- Mint leaves, finely sliced
- Take a large saucepan, add the sugar, water, lime juice and zest, the cumin, place on a medium heat, cook until the sugar dissolves and a couple more mins, stir, then add the pears.
- Gently poach the pears for about 20 mins or until they’re just soft, this will depend on the fruits’ ripeness.
- Meanwhile, turn your grill to medium high, place the plums cut side up onto a grill pan, sprinkle with the sugar.
- After about 4 or 5 mins, when the plums are scorched remove from the grill and immediately sprinkle with a pinch of cumin. Set aside.
Spoon some plums in the centre of a plate, place two pear halves resting on the plums, dollop of Greek yoghurt, sprinkle of mint leaves. Yum!