This is a wonderful mid-week supper, the smoked salmon can be replaced with smoked trout or mackerel. I serve this with a Crispy Green Salad with some thinly sliced granny smith apples.
- 600g floury potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
- Knob of butter
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 200mls milk
- 200mls cream
- Salt and pepper, freshly grated nutmeg
- A tablespoon each of chopped parsley and dill.
- 150g Irish Smoked Salmon
- Preheat oven to 150
- Grease large ovenproof dish with the butter.
- Place the milk, cream and crushed garlic and potatoes, salt, pepper and grated nutmeg in a large saucepan and slowly bring to the boil over a low heat.
- Stir a few times to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated with the milk/cream. Simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are just almost tender and the potato starch has thickened the milk, stir in the herbs.
- Turn half the potato mixture into the buttered dish and try to make sure they are submerged under the liquid. Place a layer of the thinly sliced salmon on top. Cover with the remaining potatoes. Bake for around 45 minutes until golden on top.
- Serve with a crispy green salad.