Get exotic with these mini tartlets! A creamy filling is flavoured with sweet and tangy tropical fruits and encased in a crunchy pastry base to make this perfect summer dessert. For added convenience, the pastry bases can be made ahead of time.
- 200g plain white flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g butter
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 to 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 ripe mangoes, pureed
- 3 passion fruit, juice only (sieve pulp)
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 200ml cream
- 2 passion fruit, pulp
- Sweet geranium leaves or mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190°C /170°C /gas 5.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the Icing Sugar. Add the egg yolk and a little water to the flour mixture. Bind together, adding a more water if needed. If the dough is too sticky then add a little flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball, flatten slightly and wrap in cling film. Leave in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Brush the tartlet tins or tray with melted butter and dust with flour. Shake the excess out.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out pastry until 3-5mm thick.
- Use a cutter to shape and then line the tartlet tray with pastry into the base and up the sides.
- Line each tartlet case with parchment paper and fill with some baking beans.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and lining.
- Brush with egg wash and return to oven for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the mango puree and passion fruit together and whisk in the Caster Sugar together with the eggs over a bain marie until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the lemon zest. Leave to cool.
- Whip the cream and fold it into the mango puree and passion fruit mixture. Leave in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up.
- Spoon the mix into the cold tartlet cases.
- To decorate, place about ½ tsp of passion fruit onto each tartlet and a sweet geranium or mint leaf on each.
Recipe courtesy of Siúcra.