Serve with Rhubarb compote and whipped cream. Delish.
- 125g digestive biscuits
- 100g gingernut biscuits
- 75g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease
- 1 ball of stem ginger in syrup, plus 1 tbsp syrup
- 175g full-fat soft cheese
- 250g ricotta Cheese
- 4 tbsp cream
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 125g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170c fan oven. Crush the biscuits in a blender or processor to a fine powder, then pour the melted butter and mix on.
- Grease a 20.5cm (8in) spring-release tin and completely cover with just over half the crumb mixture. Put to one side
- Finely chop the ginger stem. Beat together the cheeses, cream, egg yolks, cornflour, ginger & syrup. The mixture should be creamy and the ginger roughly chopped through it. Transfer it to a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the icing sugar, keeping the meringue very stiff and shiny. Fold into the ginger mixture and spoon onto the biscuit base. Sprinkle the remaining biscuit crumbs over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 140’C. Cover the cake with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- The cake should feel just set in the centre. Remove and cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack ( it will sink a bit ).
Eunice’s Tip: Serve with Rhubarb compote and whipped cream.