Paul Flynn makes a Warm Salad of Blue Cheese, Apple and Almonds on Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 250g Blue Cheese broken into bite size pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 apples, remove the core and cut into 12 pieces
- 2 handfuls of washed baby spinach
- 2tbsp whole peeled almonds
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp red or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a good frying pan until foaming.
- Add the onions and apples followed by the almonds a minute later.
- Meanwhile, arrange the spinach in the centre of your plates and arrange the blue cheese around.
- Turn the apples and onions when they start to colour.
- Add the almonds, sprinkle over the sugar, shake the pan to coat everything evenly.
- Cook for a further two minutes then add the vinegar and allow to bubble a little.
- When the apples are soft and golden, spoon the mixture onto the prepared plates and serve immediately.