This is the nicest chocolate cake you will ever eat! I pull the recipe out for Birthdays, Easter cake, dessert for Sunday lunch - serve with a little whipped cream. It is a slice of heaven.
- 300g Dark chocolate drops
- 150g Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 5 eggs separated
- 45g Plain flour
For the Glaze:
- 100ml Cream
- 100g Dark chocolate drops
- Tin size 24cm springform tin, line the base with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.
This is the nicest chocolate cake you will ever eat! I pull the recipe out for Birthdays, Easter cake, dessert for Sunday lunch – serve with a little whipped cream. It is a slice of heaven.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heavy-based saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring until smooth and glossy.
- Remove from the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted, add the sugar and stir to dissolve, then leave to cook.
- Meanwhile separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks.
- Beat the egg yolks and then add to the cooled chocolate and beat until combined, then fold in the flour until just combined.
- Next gently fold in the egg whites using a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared tin then pop in the oven.
- The cake should take about 45 minutes to bake. The top should be firm to touch but a skewer inserted will come out moist.
- Allow to cool for an hour on a wire rack.
- For the glaze heat the cream in a small pan bring it to a bare simmer, remove from the heat then add in the chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted and the glaze is thick and glossy.
- When the cake has cooled completely , unmould and spread evenly over the top of the cake and decorate as you please with berries, pretty flowers or maybe little Easter eggs.