Lina Gautam visits Today with Maura and Dáithí to make a delicious chicken and vegetable pilau rice.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 breast of chicken cut into small cubes
- Small knob of butter
- Whole spices (5 cardamom, 2 cloves, 2 black pepper, 1 inch long cinnamon)
- 4 cloves crushed
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to your taste
- 200 gm of cauliflower finely chopped
- Handful of green peas
- 1 carrot finely chopped or grated
- 250 gm basmati rice, washed
- About 320 ml of chicken or vegetable stock (can vary with types of rice)
- Handful of mint chopped
- Hand full of coriander chopped
- Heat oil, fry cumin seeds and add chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked but not brown.
- Add a knob of butter, whole spices, garlic, ginger, onion and cook until onion and tomato get soft.
- Add salt, cauliflower, green peas, carrot and mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add washed and drained rice, stir and add stock. Cover and let it come to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium to low and cook for about 6-7 minutes with the lid on.
- Check if rice is cooked or not then add herbs, give it a stir.
- Serve hot with your favourite chutney.