Neven says: "This onion relish can be used in so many different ways and it will keep happily for up to a month in the fridge. We get through a lot of it in the restaurant and at home I just love having it over the festive season with cold ham or turkey or as part of a cheese board."
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) balsamic vinegar
- 50g (2oz) light muscovado sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onions on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the garlic and sugar and then pour in the red wine and balsamic vinegar. Cook gently for about 35-40 minutes until thickened and sticky, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store the onion relish in an airtight container or sterilised jar in the fridge and use as required.
Makes: About 450g (1lb)