Wade Murphy shares his Rustic Italian Fish Stew recipe on Today with Maura and Dáithí. A dish that involves a little TLC and time, one that the family will happily gather around for.
Wade Murphy shares his Rustic Italian Fish Stew recipe on Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 3 tablespoons of good olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel - thinly sliced
- 2 carrots - diced
- 2 sticks of celery - diced
- 4 large shallots- chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 85g tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 350 mls dry white wine
- 1 litre fish stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 450g clams - scrubbed
- 450g mussels - scrubbed and beards removed
- 450g large prawns - peeled and deveined ( you could make a stock from the shells and substitute for the fish stock)
- 700g mixed firm fleshed fish such as monkfish, salmon, etc cut in 5 cm chunks. If you use cod or hake just reduce the cooking time a little as they will break up easily
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4-5 basil leaves- to be torn as garnish last minute
- Olive oil for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a very large heavy based pot over a medium heat. Add the fennel, fennel seeds, shallots and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic and the chilli flakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Mix in the tomato puree. Add the chopped tomatoes, wine, stock and bay leaves.Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer with a lid for about 30 minutes.
- Add the clams and mussels to the soup base and cook until they open, this will take approximately 4-5 minutes.Throw away any mussels and clams that have not opened at this stage.
- Add the prawns and the fish pieces to the stew and simmer slowly until the fish and prawns are completely cooked. This will take approximately 5-6 minutes more. Check the seasoning. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Ladle the soup into the serving bowls and garnish with the chopped herbs, tear on the basil leaves and a drizzle of good olive oil.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread.
Prep time: Approx 30
Cooking time: Approx 1 hour
- If you don't like fennel substitute in red and green peppers.
- This stew can be enhanced by adding a drained tin of cooked flageolet beans at the end.