Wade Murphy visited the Today show on RTÉ One with Maura and Dáithí to whip up some warming winter broth with grilled foccacia.
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 120g streaky bacon cut into strips
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 900 mls vegetable stock
- 400g cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon pesto - homemade preferably but good quality shop bought is ok
- 3 - 4 slices of rosemary foccacia
- 1/2 clove garlic - peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan
Prep + Cooking Time: 55 mins +
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a pot. Add the onions, garlic and bacon and fry until starting to slightly brown. Add the carrots, celery and potato. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- After 25-30 mins, add the beans and the chopped herbs. Bring back to the boil.
- Stir in the pesto and serve with grilled focaccia.
- Place a griddle pan or non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Take the sliced foccacia and rub them with the peeled garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and once hot add the slices of foccacia.
- cook until browned on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and coat with the grated parmesan.
- Serve with the soup as above.
Watch the Today show on RTÉ One weekdays from 4pm.