Quinoa used to be a word I couldn’t even pronounce, let alone cook but now it’s everywhere! You can only imagine my excitement to hear that there's also a flake version - perfect as a protein-filled alternative to oats.
For those of you out who are still wondering what quinoa is and how the hell to pronounce it (took us FOREVER! We’ve gone for ‘keen-wa’) in short it’s a great gluten-free source of protein, iron, and fibre and is a quick and flavourful way to get in a serving of whole grains. It looks really like couscous and is nearly as quick to cook, the only think you need to do is rinse it quiet well before cooking or it can taste a bit bitter. I add it to everything, salads, soups, dinner – the lot!
Here’s a quick and really easy way of using the flake version for breakfast or post work-out.
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Handful of goji berries
- Handful of blueberries or other berries of your choice
- Any nuts of your choice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Dash of almond milk
- You will need some cling-film too
- Place your quinoa flakes in a bowl and add in the cup of boiling water.
- Cover over with cling-film and leave to sit for 10 minutes. At this stage your quinoa flakes should be cooked and the water soaked up.
- Add in some almond milk, your berries, nuts and cinnamon and mix it up.
- Get yourself a spoon, a cup of coffee always go well – and enjoy!