Eunice Power brought her delicious and comforting caramelised apple tart to Today with Maura and Dáithí. Get the recipe here!
- 300g Sweet Pastry
- 6 -8 Kerry Pippin, Irish Peach or other
- 200g butter, melted
- 70g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Lemon, juiced
When transferring uncooked pastry, I would normally roll it over a rolling pin to support it, then roll out onto the desired surface, saves a few tears!
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400F/Gas Mark
- Roll out the sweet pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 3 mm, and 28 cm diameter. Place the pastry onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Prick with a fork and keep cool in the fridge.
- Peel and cut the apples in half and remove the core. Slice the quartered apples as thinly as possible but avoid them breaking, then drizzle with some lemon juice to prevent the flesh from discolouring.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge, brush with melted butter. Arrange the apples on the pastry overlapping them slightly. Leave about 1 cm from the edge without any apple.
- Brush the apples with half of the butter then sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, remove the pie from the oven brush with the remaining butter and drizzle with the honey and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then serve with a scoop or two of your favourite ice-cream.