Tomorrow is World Egg Day! We're celebrating this eggscellent day with puns and recipes galore! Give this eggs-traordinary breakfast enchilada a go and let us know how you get on!
- 4 Flour tortillas
- 6 Golden Irish eggs
- 50ml milk
- Salt & pepper
- 100g chopped ham
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 15g butter
- 15g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 50g-75g of cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/mk4
- Whisk the eggs with the milk and season well. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan and pour in egg mixture, cook until just set.
- Fold in the chopped ham and scallions and stir to make a scrambled consistency, then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Place back on the heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring continuously, until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to bubble gently for 5 minutes to cook out the flour.
- Add in half the grated cheese, take the pan off the heat and stir until thecheese has melted. Season with pepper and a little salt, if needed.
- Place the tortillas on a board and divide the egg mixture between them.
- Spread half the cheese sauce on the base of a greased baking dish large enough to hold the tortillas.
- Roll up the tortillas and place into the dish seam side down. Pour over the rest of the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the tortillas are golden.
- Scatter over the toppings and serve.
Turkey rashers can be used instead of ham with great results. Roughly mashed kidney beans or re-fried beans mixed with the egg are great for extra protein and will add texture.
*Courtesy of Golden Irish Eggs