Catherine Fulvio shares her recipe for sweet and simple apple jam.
- 270g jam sugar (the sort with added pectin to help the jam set)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1.4kg apples (your favourite variety), peeled and diced evenly
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pour the sugar and water into a medium saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, then boil rapidly, stirring from time to time until it’s is a light amber colour.
- Remove from the heat and add the diced apples, vanilla pod and lemon juice. Stir well as it may stick at first, but once the apples heat, it will all come together.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes until the apples are soft, stirring from time to time.
- Add the butter and remove the vanilla bean.
- Pour into the sterilised jars. Seal with a parchment paper disc and the lid. Store the jars in a cool, dark place.