"The colour is stunning, - I just love it and the roasted beetroots are so good for us as well" says Catherine.
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 100g diced pancetta
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 100ml white wine
- 1litre chicken stock, heated to simmering
- 2 medium roasted beetroots, diced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan, freshly grated
- Parmesan shavings, for garnishing
- Thyme sprigs, to garnish
"The colour is stunning, – I just love it and the roasted beetroots are so good for us as well" says Catherine.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and add oil and butter. When the butter is foaming, add the sliced leek and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the pancetta and cook for 3 minutes. Add the thyme, garlic and rice, and cook for a few minutes until the rice is shiny and opaque. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and add the warm stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly until each ladleful is absorbed. The rice should be creamy but firm to the bite. Stir in the roasted beetroot with the last ladle.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Check the seasoning, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- To serve: spoon into warm bowls and place parmesan shavings on the risotto and arrange a few sprigs of thyme on top.
I pick baby spinach leaves from the garden, wash them and add to the saucepan at the end for a tasty all in one pot meal – you can’t go wrong with that and it’s healthy.