They can be fun for all the family to make - it's also a great way to encourage younger children to try different varieties of nuts, seeds and fruit.
- 1 x 397g tin of condensed milk
- ½ tbsp honey
- 200g gluten-free rolled oats
- 125g chopped nuts, such as Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios and pecans
- 120g mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower and sesame
- 100g mixed dried fruit, such as figs, cranberries, cherries, pineapple, apricot and blueberries, roughly chopped
- 75g desiccated coconut
- 2 dessertspoons hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 130°C. Line a baking tin (ideally one that is 23 cm square and 3.5 cm deep) with non-stick baking paper.
- Warm the condensed milk in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes. You can also do this on the hob, but it can be prone to burning if you don’t keep an eye on it.
- Add the honey to the milk and stir.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the milk and honey to the dry ingredients and mix well with a spatula.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, until a light golden colour. Take out and allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Once cooled, cut into approx. 16 squares. The bars should be firm yet a little chewy. These cereal bars can be stored up to a week in a sealed container.