Summer parties? Catherine Fulvio, celebrity chef and Whirlpool ambassador, has the perfect recipe for you to treat you friends with a summery pavlova with Strawberries, Mascarpone Cream and Basil Drizzle.
- Preheat the oven to 140 (oC/fan) 120 (oC/gas 2). Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Draw a 20cm circle (perhaps use a dinner plate on the parchment and turn it over so you don’t spread meringue onto the pencil marks).
- To make the pavlova, whisk the egg whites until stiff, gradually add the sugar, adding half the sugar, spoon by spoon, whisking after each addition and then fold in the rest. Continue to whisk until thick and glossy.
- Fold in the white wine vinegar, corn flour and the hazelnuts. Spoon the pavlova mixture onto the parchment sheet and flatten the top with a slight indent. Bake for 1 hour, turn the oven off and leave the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
- To make the basil drizzle, combine the sugar and water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 3 minutes until a syrup forms. Add the basil leaves and stir well. Blend until fairly smooth and set aside.
- Whisk the cream until soft peak stage, fold the yoghurt, mascarpone and icing sugar into the bowl.
- Carefully place the meringue on a cake stand, spoon over the mascarpone cream.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on top and pour over some of the basil drizzle.
- Spoon a little meringue onto the edge of the baking tray and place the baking parchment on top to keep the parchment from moving when in the oven.
- Once cooked, turn off the oven and leave the door ajar until the pavlova has cooked. By avoiding leaving the pavlova on a cool surface, this will ensure that it doesn't crack...or shouldn't!
Recipe courtesy of Whirlpool.