Three fantastic dishes being cooked up on the RTÉ One TV show, Healthy Home Chef with Neven Maguire are two healthy dessert options and this main, Crispy Salmon with Pomegranate and Watercress Couscous.
- 250g (9oz) couscous
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra, if liked
- 500ml (18fl oz) boiling water
- 75g (3oz) rice flour
- 1 tbsp sumac, plus extra to garnish
- 150g (5oz) organic salmon fillets, pin-boned and skinned
- 75g (3oz) toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 large handfuls of watercress
- 1 small pomegranate, halved and seeds removed (skin discarded)
- lemon wedges, to garnish
- 2 heaped tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Neven Says: "This is a super-healthy dish packed full of omega-3. Sumac is made from the dried berries of a flowering plant that are ground to produce an acidic, reddish- purple powder that is very popular in the Middle East.
"You’ll find it in places like Fallon & Byrne in Dublin or ask a good local deli if they stock it."
- Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and season well, then stir in 1 teaspoon of the oil. Pour over the boiling water, cover tightly with cling film and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Put the rice flour in a shallow dish with the sumac and season generously with salt and pepper. Dust the salmon in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Add to the heated oil in the frying pan and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, fluff up the couscous with a fork, then fold in the pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds with the lemon rind. At the last moment, roughly chop the watercress and toss it through the couscous with the pomegranate seeds.
- Mix the yoghurt and harissa together in a small bowl and season to taste. Cover with cling film and chill until needed.
- Arrange the crispy salmon on plates and add an extra light sprinkling of sumac. Add a small mound of the couscous, then drizzle over a little extra olive oil, if liked. Garnish with lemon wedges and add a spoonful of the harissa yoghurt to serve.
Tune into Healthy Home Chef with Neven Maguire and this week's guest Maureen Gaffney tonight, Wednesday February 10 at 7.30pm on RTÉ One. If you miss it, you can catch up on the RTÉ Player here, rte.ie/player