This recipe is from the last in the current series of Neven Maguire's Healthy Home Chef series and he made this immune-boosting recipe with chef Indy Power on the programme.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 300g (11oz) baby spinach
- 225g (8oz) feta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 25g (1oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 sheets of filo pastry, thawed if frozen sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cherry tomato, red onion and basil salad, to serve
Neven says: "This is a great vegetarian option that should suit all the family. Traditionally known as 'spanakopita', which are normally bite-sized pastries, this pie is much less fiddly and is easier to make. It can be made up to a day in advance and kept covered in the fridge."
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the onion. Sauté for a couple of minutes, until softened but not browned. Stir in the spring onions and cook for another minute. Add the spinach a handful at a time until it has all wilted down. Tip into a colander and press out any excess liquid, then cool.
- Crumble the feta cheese into a large bowl and lightly mash with a fork. Mix in the cooled spinach mixture, eggs, Parmesan, mint and nutmeg. Season to taste.
- Unroll the filo pastry and brush a 20cm (8in) clip-sided or loose-based tin with a little of the oil. Lightly brush each sheet with a little of the oil and place in the tin, oiled side down, leaving the excess hanging over the edge. Rotate the tin a quarter turn after putting in each sheet.
- Tip the filling into the tin and fold the excess pastry over the top one sheet at a time to give a ruffled effect. Brush any remaining oil on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to settle for 5 minutes.
- Take the spinach and feta pie out of the tin and cut into slices.
Arrange on plates with the cherry tomato, red onion and basil salad to serve.