It is day 9 of December which means we are on a delicious countdown to Christmas! Every day this month, we will share some of our most Christmassy and festive recipes such as these mini-Christmas cakes.
These miniature Christmas cakes could be the perfect stocking filler for that friend with a sweet tooth.
- 175g (6 oz) butter or margarine
- 175g (6 oz) light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 75g (3 oz) ground almonds
- 175g (6 oz) plain flour
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 sachet (1 tsp) Baking Powder
- 300g (10 oz) sultanas
- 175g (6 oz) dried cranberries
- 150g (5 oz) glacé cherries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 150g (5 oz) White Icing
- 200g (7 oz) Marzipan
- 2 tsp clear honey
- Chocolate Silver Pearls
- 4 x 25cm (10in) lengths cake ribbon
- Star-shaped cutter
- Place a roasting tin of cold water in the bottom of the oven, then preheat the oven to
- 150°C (140°C Fan Oven, Gas Mark 2).
- Grease and line a 19cm (7in) square cake tin and wrap the sides in a double layer of brown paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter or margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy then gradually beat in the eggs, and stir in the Moroccan Almond Extract and ground almonds.
- Sift the flour, nutmeg and Baking Powder on top and add all the fruit.
- Carefully mix all the ingredients together and then spoon into the prepared tin. Smooth over the top and bake in the oven for about 1½ hours until lightly browned, slightly risen and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin before removing. Discard the tin linings and wrap in fresh paper and foil and store for 3 days before decorating.
- When ready to serve the cakes, discard the storage wrapping from the cake. Using a 7cm (3in) round pastry cutter, push down on top of the cake within 1cm (½in) of the edge to make 4 circles - you may need to trim the edges with a knife.
- Divide the Marzipan into four pieces. On a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, roll each piece into a circle to fit the top of the cake. Brush with a little honey, secure a Marzipan circle on top of each cake and trim to neaten.
- Lightly dust your work surface with icing sugar. Roll out the Regal-Ice Icing to a thickness of 5mm (¼ in) and using your pastry cutter cut out four discs of icing.
- Using a star-shaped cutter, stamp out 4 stars from the 4 discs of icing and remove excess icing. Brush the Marzipan with a little water and carefully secure the Regal-Ice discs on top of each of the cakes. Carefully fill each star cut out with Chocolate Silver Pearls.
- To finish, secure a piece of ribbon round the side of each cake.
Preparation time: Up to 60 minutes
Level Of Difficulty: Medium
Recipe courtesy of Dr. Oetker