As seen on the Today show!
For the stock:
- 1 carcass of roast chicken all the leftover meat picked off for the soup
- 1 carrot - peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery - roughly chopped
- 1/2 leek - washed and chopped
- 1/2 onion- peeled & roughly chopped
- sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 l water
For the soup:
- 950 ml chicken stock - as above
- 170 g shredded cooked chicken meat taken from the carcass.
- 100 g dried noodles - egg or glass will do. break them into small pieces with your hands
- 6 shiitake mushrooms - button will do as a substitute
- 4 spring onions- thinly sliced
- 1 carrot - diced
- 1/2 stick celery - diced
- 1/3 leek - diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 good sprigs coriander
- 1 red chili - seeds removed and then sliced
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper
For the Stock:
- Place the carcass in a large pot. Add all the vegetables and herbs to the pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for approximately 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Constantly skim off any fat that comes to the top off the stock. Remove from the heat and pour through a sieve or strainer.
For the soup:
- Pour the strained stock into a clean pot. Bring it to the boil. Add the noodles, diced celery, leek and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften and noodles start to cook. Add the chicken and shiitake mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes until the chicken is hot and the mushrooms are cooked. Season with a little salt and pepper. Squeeze in the lime juice and add the chopped chives. Take 4 serving bowls and place the coriander, spring onion and chili in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle in the hot broth. Finish with a very small drizzle of sesame oil in each bowl.