Steak and mushroom is one of those comforting dishes that will always leave the family satisfied.
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 600 g stewing beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 225 g mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tblsp plain flour
- 100 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tblsp worcester sauce
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, thyme & parsley
- 1 quantity short crust pastry
- 1 egg wash ( 1 egg yolk mix with 1 tsp milk)
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Add one third of the beef and cook, turning occasionally for 3 – 4 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft and lightly caramelised. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further minute or two, then sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further minute.
- Gradually stir in the stock and red wine and use a wooden spoon to dislodge any remnants from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes puree and herbs and reduce the heat, simmer covered for 1hr 30 minutes until the beef is very tender and the sauce is thick.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface and using half of the pastry cover the base of the baking dish. Add the beef mixture and then cover the filling with the leftover rolled pastry. Use your fingertips to seal the edges and create a chimney for the steam to escape.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and place in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and lovely golden brown colour.
- Serve immediately with some broccoli or green salad leaves.