A starter or light supper dish that puts a modern twist on the traditional combination of boxty, black pudding and eggs. The eggs can be prepared well in advance and just deep-fried at the last minute.
- olive oil, for frying
- 4 thick slices boxty
- knob of butter
- 4 slices black pudding
- for the crispy golden eggs:
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 6 eggs, at room temperature (preferably organic)
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 25 g plain flour
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs (dried and toasted)
- crisp apple salad:
- 1 green apple, cut into matchsticks
- 2 handfuls mixed baby green leaves
- 2 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- micro herbs, to garnish
- To poach the eggs, bring a large saucepan of water to a gentle simmer and add the vinegar. Break in 4 of the eggs, one at a time, where the water is bubbling and poach for 3 minutes, until just cooked through and holding their shape. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in cold water to prevent them from cooking any further. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add a little olive oil, then add the slices of boxty and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown, adding the butter for flavour once you’ve turned them over. Keep warm in a low oven. Wipe out the frying pan and add a little more olive oil, then cook for black pudding for 1-2 minutes on each side until crisp and lightly golden. Drain on kitchen paper and place in the oven to keep warm.
- To finish the eggs, heat the sunflower oil in a deep-fat fryer or large saucepan to 180°C. Place the flour on a flat plate and season lightly, then put the remaining 2 eggs in a shallow dish and beat lightly. Put the breadcrumbs into a separate shallow dish. Coat the poached eggs in the seasoned flour and then dip in the beaten egg, then cover in the breadcrumbs. Deep-fry the coated eggs for 2–3 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- To make the crisp apple salad, place the apple and salad leaves in a bowl. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Use to lightly dress the apple mixture and put a small mound into the middle of each serving plate. Put a slice of boxty on each one followed by the black pudding. Top each one with a crispy golden egg and garnish with the micro herbs to serve.