This Apple Crumble is so quick and easy to put together and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Add some oats into the traditional crumble topping, which makes for extra crunchiness!
This Apple Crumble is so quick and easy to put together and a guranteed crowd pleaser. Add some oats into the traditional crumble topping, which makes for extra crunchiness!
For the crumble:
- 50 g porridge oats
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g caster sugar
- 80 g butter
- 1 vanilla pod (optional)
For the Filling:
- 4-5 large cooking apples (approx. 400g)- peeled, cored and quartered
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1-tablespoon water
- 75 g butter
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 100 g golden syrup
- 100 ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Peel and core the apples, quarter and cut in to bite-size chunks.
- Put the apples into a large pan with the sugar and water. Cook over a low heat for 5 - 10 minutes until the apples are nice and tender, leave on the heat a little longer if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Optional: Remove from heat and stir in your vanilla pod scraping and mix through.
- Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well. Cut the butter into small cubes and add this to the mixture.
- Using your fingertips, mix until it resembles an even crumb-like texture.
- Add the sugar and mix through.
- Place a nice thick layer of your apple mixture into each dish and then generously cover with your crumble topping.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until the crumble is nice and golden and the apple mixture is bubbling through.
- Now for your Toffee Sauce:
- Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat
- Stir slowly until all ingredients are nicely combined, this should take about 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and pour in your cream and stir through
- Pour your sauce into a jug and its ready to serve with your apple crumbles.
- We would recommend serving your crumbles warm with some whipped cream, so delicious!
This recipe is courtesy of Boutique Bake.