Serve with a scoop of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream!
- For the Tarte Tatin:
- 375g of puff pastry
- 5 apples
- 75g of caster sugar
- 75g of unsalted butter - soft
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Plain flour, for dusting
- For the Crème Anglaise:
- 150ml of whole milk
- 150ml of double cream
- ¼ vanilla pod, split
- 3 large egg yolks
- 30g of sugar
- Prep time: Approximately 1hr 25 minutes plus 10-15 minutes resting time.
- For the Tarte:
- Cut the apples in half, peel, core and turn to an even, rounded size.
- Place the butter in a tarte tatin pan (or ovenproof frying pan 20-23cm) and press it out to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with the sugar and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the pan on the stove, and melt the butter and sugar together until they start to brown. Add the cinnamon sticks at this stage. This should take approximately 8-10 minutes to get to the right colour.
- Roll the puff pastry out to fit the pan and until it is around 4mm in thickness. Place the pieces of apple, cut side up, around the pan containing the cinnamon, butter and sugar mixture, placing 1 in the centre. Cover with the pastry disc.
- Use the back of a spoon to gently press the excess pastry into the edge of the pan - this will help to keep the apples in place. Place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes for the pastry and butter to firm up.
- Finish cooking the tarte in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Remove and leave to rest a little, approximately 10-15 minutes, then turn the tarte out by placing a plate upside down over the entire pan and flipping the whole thing over.
- For the Anglaise Sauce:
- Add the milk, cream and vanilla to a pan and bring to the boil. In a heatproof bowl, combine the eggs and sugar.
- Pour the hot liquid onto the egg mixture in a steady stream, whisking continuously.
- Return to the pan and place over a low heat. Once the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon, pass through a sieve immediately into a clean bowl set over ice.
- Serve the sauce with the tarte, along with a scoop of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream.