Now sprinkle some fresh coriander and serve hot with fluffy rice or naan bread.
- 1.5kg chicken on or off the bone, cut into pieces (chicken thigh or breast)
- 3 tblsp vegetable or mustard oil
- ½ tsp each of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and onion/nigella seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or to your taste
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped into pieces
- 3 tomatoes chopped or 3 tbsp of tin chopped tomatoes
- 6-7 cloves of garlic crushed or grated
- 1 tblsp crushed or grated ginger
- 2-3 fresh green or red chili (to your taste)
- 1 tblsp lime/lemon juice
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- handful of fresh coriander
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. When it starts smoking fry all five seeds for 3-4 seconds and add chicken pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
- Add chopped onion and fresh chilies, stir, cover and cook in a low to medium heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken becomes golden brown, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and chili powder, stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until tomatoes become soft and it forms a thick gravy.
- In a bowl, whisk yoghurt and stir into the pan. Add about ½ cup of hot water, cover and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes in a low to medium heat. Your pickled chicken curry is ready to serve.
- Now sprinkle some fresh coriander and serve hot with fluffy rice or naan bread.