If you want a no-fuss Brussels sprouts recipe that can be made ahead of time then this is the one for you. Baked in a creamy sauce, these Brussels sprouts can be kept warm in a low oven covered with foil until you are ready to serve them. Alternatively, they can be prepared in advance ready to pop into the oven as the turkey comes out to rest.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- Good knob of butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1kg Brussels sprouts, peeled and halved
- 75g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- For the White Sauce:
- 4 tblsp softened butter
- 4 tblsp plain flour
- 480ml milk
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium high heat until the butter melts and begins to foam.
- Add in the garlic and fry for 30 seconds before adding in the Brussels sprouts and stir frying for 6-8 minutes until tender.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan then adding the flour, whisking vigorously for 1 minute. Add in the milk, whisking as you go until you have a smooth mixture. Bring to the boil for about a minute or until thickened then set aside. Stir through a third of the Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F), Gas Mark 6. Place the Brussels sprouts into a baking dish and pour the white sauce over to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve straight away.