This delicious Green Tomato Relish would make an amazing Christmas present for friends and family once bottled nicely!
- 500 g onions, finely diced
- 1.5 kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red chilli with seeds left in, chopped
- thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 300 g brown sugar
- 600 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp all spice
- handful of sultanas (optional)
- Tip all the ingredients (except the sultanas if using) into a large heavy-based pot and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently.
- Simmer for 1 hour, then bring to a gentle boil, adding sultanas if using, until that the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny. Place into sterilised jars and allow cool before sealing tightly with lids.
- Chutney can be used immediately and will store in a dark cupboard for a couple of years.
- Sterilising your jars: Ensure jars are thoroughly clean by washing with hot soapy water. Fill the jars with boiling water and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Tip out the water, do not dry but place the jars inverted in an oven heated to 140C for 15 minutes. Do this when you are almost ready to fill the jars as they should be filled while hot.
- Meanwhile place the spotlessly clean lids in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove and dry with kitchen paper, then seal jars tightly.