These delicious treats can be prepared the night before and cooked to perfection in the morning. A great surprise for mum on Mother's Day!
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150ml pot of natural low-fat yoghurt
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 2 tblsp no added sugar apricot jam
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tblsp clear honey
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 200g of wholemeal flour
- 50g of porridge oats, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tblsp mixed seeds
- extra apricot jam
- a handful of flaked almonds, for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 large muffin cases.
- In a mixing jug, combine the eggs, yoghurt, rapeseed oil, Apricot Jam, banana, honey and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the wholemeal flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and mixed seeds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine until you have a smooth batter. Don't over mix as this will make your muffins tough.
- Divide the mix between the muffin cases and place about half a teaspoon of Apricot Jam on the top of each of the muffins. Sprinkle with the extra porridge oats and the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until risen and golden. Check that they're cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle of one of the muffins. They're done if it comes away clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. These will keep for 3 days in a sealed container but they taste best on the day of baking.
Recipe courtesy of Folláin