Kevin Dundon gives cabbage a modern twist
- 500 g red cabbage (or 1 small head), core removed and the leaves thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 50 g sultanas (golden raisins)
- 2 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp muscovado sugar or light brown sugar
- 250 g cooking apples (or 2 cooking apples), peeled, cored and sliced
- 15 g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 150oC/300oF/gas mark 2.
- Layer the cabbage, onion, sultanas, vinegar, sugar, apple, butter and mixed spice into a baking dish and season with the salt and some black pepper. Add the orange rind and juice.
- Cover the baking dish with kitchen foil and cook for 2. hours. Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking. Serve hot or cold.
Makes about 750g.