To serve, place a lettuce leaf on your plate, top with the pickled vegetables and chicken. Fold over the lettuce and enjoy.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tblsp sugar
- 1.5 tblsp thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1.5 tblsp sunflower oil
- 1 tblsp fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tsp hot chilli sauce
- 800 g chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 0.5cm thick slices
- Crisp iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 tblsp baby beansprouts
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 6 radishes
- 1 cucumber
- 220 ml rice vinegar
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- To marinate the chicken, whisk together the garlic, sugar, fish sauce, oil, lime juice and chilli sauce in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- To make the pickle, cut the carrots, cucumber and radish into julienne (very slim strips).
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved, then add the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Leave to stand for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are wilted.
- To grill the chicken, heat a griddle pan over a medium heat, then grill the chicken in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
- Allow to colour on one side before turning over to brown on the other side. This will give a lovely caramel flavour. When the chicken is fully cooked, transfer to a warmed serving plate.
- Strain the pickled vegetables and arrange around the chicken.
- To serve, place a lettuce leaf on your plate, top with the pickled vegetables and chicken. Fold over the lettuce and enjoy.