The countdown to pancake Tuesday is on! Why not start practicing now? Paul Flynn shares his simple recipe for a tasty batch of pancakes.
- 100 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tblsp melted butter or sunflower oil
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled, cored and cut into 8)
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 small knob of butter
- 1 tsp butter
- 8 pecans or whole almonds
- 2 tblsp lemon curd
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the egg into the well; add the melted butter or oil and half the milk. Gradually draw the flour into the liquid by stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until all the flour has been incorporated and then beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Stir in the remaining milk. Alternatively, beat all the ingredients together for 1 minute in a blender or food processor. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes, stir again before using.
- To make the pancakes, heat a small heavy-based frying until very hot and then turn the heat down to medium.
- Lightly grease with oil and then ladle in enough batter to coat the base of the pan thinly (about 2 tablsp.), tilting the pan so the mixture spreads evenly.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes or until the batter looks dry on the top and begins to brown at the edges. Flip the pancake over with a palette knife or fish slice and cook the second side.
- Turn onto a plate, smear with a little butter, a sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice – enjoy!
Apple & Pecan Pancakes
- Heat the oil and add in the apples,
- Cook over med-high heat, turning once or twice for 2 minutes.
- Add the pecans and butter, followed by the sugar.
- Cook until golden brown and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Lemon & Berry Pancakes
- Mix the sugar into the raspberries and microwave for 2 minutes
- Spread the warm pancakes with the lemon curd, fold into quarters and put on plates.
- Make your sauce, scoop your ice cream and place on the pancakes.
- Divide your sauce over the ice cream.