A dish to hug.
- 300 g macaroni pasta
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 225 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely sliced)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tblsp butter
- 4 tblsp plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 0.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 90 g grated fontina cheese
- 90 g provolone cheese
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 20 g grated pecorino cheese, for the topping
- 2 tblsp flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
- knob of butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of salt boiling water according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the garlic mushrooms and set aside.
- Melt the butter to the saucepan. Stir in the flour until it has blended with the butter, add the milk and keep stirring.
- Add the mustard and grated cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened, stirring constantly.
- Drain the macaroni and mix with the sauce. Stir in the mushrooms and pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the prepared dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, Pecorino and parsley together and scatter over the macaroni cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.