A light, tasty meal.
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 tuna steaks (about 200g)
- salt and pepper
- 15 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 oz olive oil
- 1 twig of rosemary (for brushing)
For the Salad:
- 1 tblsp butter
- 150 g pinenuts
- 0.25 tsp and 1 teaspoon salt (1¼ teaspoons total)
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 tsp white pepper
- 1 tblsp honey
- 100 ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 250 g baby spinach (washed, drained well and dried)
- 1 small red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 3 oranges (peeled and cut into ½ cm slices)
To make the Salad:
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan and add the pine nuts.
- Roast the pine nuts over low to medium heat, stirring constantly and taking care not to burn them, for about two to three minutes.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and set them aside.
- Using a food processor, add the vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and honey.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons roasted pine nuts and process to puree.
- Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl, add the onion and toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Arrange the orange slices overlapping around the outer edge of a large cold serving platter and drizzle with any remaining dressing.
- Pile the spinach in the centre and sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.
To prepare the Tuna:
- To make the sauce, add lemon juice to a bowl, whip vigorously and add oil in a slow steady stream.
- Finish with minced garlic. Brush the sauce over the tuna using the rosemary twig as a brush.
- Heat the griddle pan. Place the tuna in pan and cook for about two minutes on each side.
- Serve on a bed of spinach and orange salad.