Try this lovely light salad, packed full of flavour and simple to make!
- 2 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 175 g black pudding (skinned and cut into 1cm slices)
- 4 maple cured bacon rashers
- 175 g mixed salad leaves (such as baby spinach and rocket)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 0.5 tsp clear honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat a frying pan and then add a tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the black pudding and cook for 1 minute on each side until tender. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Snip the bacon into the frying pan and sauté for a few minutes until sizzling and lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, place the salad leaves in a large bowl. Halve, stone and chop the avocado. Add to the bowl and season to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and add to the salad.
- Pour the vinegar into the pan, turn up the heat and scrape the sediment in the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze until almost all the vinegar has been boiled off.
- Stir the mustard into the reduced down vinegar with the honey and then whisk in the rest of the olive oil until you have achieved a nice emulsion.
- Break the black pudding up into pieces and scatter over the salad, then drizzle over the dressing.
- Toss lightly to combine and then arrange on plates to serve. Hand around a basket of crusty bread separately.