A delicious sweet desert to cap off the perfect meal.
- 50 g butter
- 250 g brown sugar
- 350 g rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 2cm chunks)
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger (heaped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized oven proof frying pan (measuring 25cm in diameter).
- Stir in half the sugar and cook over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb - there's no need to stir - remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- In a measuring jug or small bowl whisk the eggs and add the remaining brown sugar, the buttermilk, oil and ginger.
- Mix together, then pour into the dry ingredients and whisk to form a liquid batter.
- Pour this over the rhubarb in the pan and place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake feels firm in the centre.
- To serve
- Cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living published by Harper Collins