A delightful duck dish perfect for pleasing guests.
- 4 duck breasts (boneless, skin off)
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- teriyaki glaze
- 50 ml mirin
- 50 ml Japanese soy sauce
- 50 ml sake
For the garnish:
- a few chervil leaves
- seven spice mix ( shichimi togarashi ) optional
For the pickled cucumber
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 2 tblsp rice wine vinegar
- Check the duck breasts and trim off any fat and sinew.
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat a large heavy fry pan over high heat, and sauté the duck breasts in the vegetable oil over medium-high heat, until well browned, but still pink in the middle.
- This will take about 4 minutes on each side. When cooked, remove the duck breasts.
- Add the teriyaki glaze, and boil it until it becomes thick and syrupy. Add the duck to the glaze, and turn frequently for about 1 minute.
- When well glazed on both sides, place the breasts on a cutting board, and slice into 4 - 5 pieces each.
- Before getting the duck cooking, simply peel and seed the cucumbers, and slice into one centimetre pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, salt, sugar, and vinegar.
- Marinate the cucumber slices for at least 15 minutes and up to one hour preferably.