Do your kids love science? Well, clear your kitchen countertops and get ready because RTÉjr has a brand new science show that will introduce your family to some amazing experiments that you can do at home.
Let’s Find Out is set on the space-ship ‘Curiosity’ - captained by alien puppet Zoom and her trusty assistants, physicist Mark Langtry and biochemist Ciara Murphy. Together they explore questions sent in by children.
During a visit to RTÉ, Mark enlisted the help of some well-known parents to demonstrate some fun kitchen-table science experiments they can do with their children.
Watch our very own Taragh Loughrey-Grant make a lava lamp above.
What you need:
- Empty large plastic bottle with the lid off (1-litre size is ideal)
- Funnel or jug for pouring
- Water (about a quarter of the size of the bottle)
- Vegetable oil (use as much as required to fill the bottle to just below the top)
- Food colouring (any colour, but red is great!)
- Fizzy tablets (such as indigestion tablets or fizzy vitamin tablets), broken into halves
- A torch - dim the lights and it looks like a lava lamp in action!
Let's Find Out is a new science series on RTEjr, co-funded by Science Foundation Ireland. Tune in on RTEjr Monday to Friday from at 5.20 and 13.30.