Kevin Dundon's Christmas Pudding Meringue Roulade.
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 75g flaked almonds
- 250g Mascarpone
- 100ml Cream, whipped
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g Christmas pudding, crumbled
- 50g Caramelised Mixed nuts
- 100g physalis - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a large Swiss roll tray (13 x 9 ½ inches) with parchment paper ensuring that both the base and the sides are covered.
- Using a food mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add in the caster sugar gradually, whisking thoroughly between each addition until the mixture is glossy and stiff.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with some flaked almonds. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the filling place the mascarpone cream, cream and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat until smooth. Fold in the brandy and pudding crumbs.
- To build the meringue, place a layer of parchment paper larger than the cooled meringue baking tray onto a flat surface.
- Invert the cake onto the parchment paper. Carefully spread the mascarpone mixture over the cooled meringue.
- Starting with the long side closest to you, and using the paper to help, roll up the cake to create the roulade.
- Place on a serving platter and decorate with a few caramelised nuts and physalis
- Store in the fridge, covered until required.