The heart is the most important organ in the human body. It works by sending blood around your body which keeps us alive. The heart is actually a muscle and is about the size of your fist.
It is located in the middle of your chest, slightly to the left. You can see in the diagram where it is in relation to the rest of our organs.
How many times does your heart beat a day?
What you will need: A stopwatch, pen and paper.
Each time your heart beats, it pumps around 5 litres of blood around your body. Your heart rate is the number of times your heart beats a minute or BPM for short.
We can measure how many times a heart beats in a minute by finding our pulse.
1. Place two fingers on your wrist. Press down slightly and you should feel a beat. That is your pulse.
2. Using a stopwatch, count how many beats you feel in ten seconds.
3. To find out how many times your heart beats a minute, multiply this number by 6. E.g. If you measured 12 beats in 10 seconds, multiply 12 x 6, which means your heart rate is 72 beats per minute or BPM.
4. Once you have found your own BPM, try it on other people! Children often have a higher BPM than adults!
5. Calculate how many times your heart beats a day. Put your heart rate into the formula below to see how many times your heart beats a day
FORMULA - BPM X Minutes in an hour X Hours in a Day =
Download the formula and ALL the activities from the lesson PLUS the answers to the questions here!
Beats Per Minute!
Now try finding your BPM after jumping up and down for a minute. Your heart beats faster when you exercise to get more blood around your body!
Let's test our knowledge on the amazing heart
1. Our hearts are about the size of our fists.
But how big is a blue whale’s heart?
A) Size of a house B) Size of a mini car C) Size of an orange
2. How many hearts does an octopus have?
A) 1 B) 3 C) 8
3. What is the name of this medical device and what is it for?
4. True or false, laughing is good for your heart?
Why didn't the skeleton want to send any Valentine’s Day cards?
His heart wasn’t in it!
Why did the teacher wear sunglasses?
Because his students were so bright!
You can get ALL the answers and the full lesson on the activity sheet HERE!