The Rose of Tralee Festival has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to Covid-19.
In a statement, Anthony O'Gara, Rose of Tralee International Festival CEO, confirmed the news on Monday.
He said that since last year's postponement, they have been working on how to safely deliver the 2021 Rose of Tralee International Festival.
However, the timeframe envisaged to "steer our communities out of this pandemic" means that they will not be able to have a festival again this year.
He said it is "immensely disappointing for all of us involved".
The statement read: "Last year was the first time in our history that the Festival was postponed, and doing so again is difficult for everyone involved and of course for those supporters that look forward to celebrating our global Irish community each August, but we are confident it is the right decision as we all play our part right now in keeping each other safe and well.
"The Rose of Tralee International Festival operates on a yearlong basis, in Irish communities worldwide; and we will continue to harness the goodwill of our extended Rose Family in supporting communities and charitable efforts over the next 12 months.
"Similarly, we will each have a role to play in restoring our community and local economy following this pandemic, and we look forward to coming together in celebration in August 2022."
It concluded: "In the meantime, we salute the leadership and the selfless efforts of frontline and support staff everywhere; and among them the efforts by many of our Rose family."