The record damages awarded to actress Rebel Wilson after her successful defamation case against a magazine publisher in Australia have been reduced from A$4.5m (€2.87m) to A$600,000 (€383,000) in the Victorian Court of Appeal, but the Pitch Perfect star has said her legal action was "never about the money".
Bauer Media had appealed the record damages which were awarded to Wilson last year over defamatory articles that she successfully argued had portrayed her as a serial liar.
Wilson had argued that the articles had led to her being sacked from two films. The Supreme Court of Victoria subsequently awarded her a payout of A$650,000 (€415,000) in general damages and A$3.9m (€2.49m) for the loss of the film roles.
But the Court of Appeal ruled that Wilson had not proven the company was responsible for her losing the film roles.
"The court has rejected the finding that Rebel Wilson lost the opportunity to earn A$15m by being cast in lead or co-lead roles in Hollywood films from mid-2015 to the end of 2016," the judgement read.
Taking to Twitter before the judgement was delivered, Wilson said the appeal was about Bauer Media "quibbling about how much they now have to pay me".
Additionally, I’m away on location in Europe filming right now. The Court of Appeal in Australia will be handing down their decision in the morning re my defamation case against @bauermedia . As I’ve said before, I have already WON the case and this is UNCHALLENGED!— Rebel Wilson (@RebelWilson) June 13, 2018
What happens tomorrow is to do with the losers @bauermedia quibbling about how much they now have to pay me. While this case was never about the money for me, I do hope to receive as much as possible to give away to charities and to support the Australian film industry. 🐨— Rebel Wilson (@RebelWilson) June 13, 2018
"While this case was never about the money for me, I do hope to receive as much as possible to give away to charities and to support the Australian film industry," Wilson added.