The ATP and WTA have announced a six-week suspension of their respective professional tennis tours as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Both the men's and women's spring clay-court tennis programmes have been postponed.

The ATP and WTA issued a joint statement on Wednesday evening confirming they have suspended tournaments, including combined events in Madrid and Rome, until 7 June.

The statement said: "After careful consideration and due to the continuing outbreak of COVID-19, all ATP and WTA tournaments in the Spring clay-court swing will not be held as scheduled.

"This includes the combined ATP/WTA tournaments in Madrid and Rome, along with the WTA events in Strasbourg and Rabat and ATP events in Munich, Estoril, Geneva and Lyon." 

The French Open at Roland Garros had already been postponed from May until September.

ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi told the Tour's official website: "This is not a decision that was taken lightly and it represents a great loss for our tournaments, players, and fans worldwide.

"However, we believe this is the responsible action needed at this time in order to protect the health and safety of our players, staff, the wider tennis community and general public health in the face of this global pandemic."

Gaudenzi added: "The worldwide nature of our sport and the international travel required presents significant risks and challenges in today's circumstances, as do the increasingly restrictive directives issued by local authorities.

"We continue to monitor this on a daily basis and we look forward to the Tour resuming when the situation improves. In the meantime, our thoughts and well-wishes are with all those that have been affected by the virus."